President’s Page

Welcome to AAUW – Appleton Branch!

AAUW has been empowering women nationally since 1881. Our mission is to advance equity for women and girls through research, education, and advocacy. Our Appleton branch has shared this national mission for 110 years. While Appleton is in our name, we welcome membership from all over the Fox Cities.

Our public policy prioritizes high-quality public education, freedom from violence, and diversity, equity, & inclusion initiatives. We are active in supporting voting rights and are dedicated to educating the public about pay equity.

We support the national AAUW goal of gender equality in the STEM fields with our annual Tech Savvy Day in March. We team with AAUW-Oshkosh to put on this day-long conference for girls in grades 6-9, also inviting their parents to attend. The participants take part in hands-on activities provided by women role models who share their experiences in STEM careers. Confidence building sessions and long-range planning advice are also shared during the conference.

Our branch has famously offered our Used Book Sale each year. This October will mark the 86th year of holding the Book Sale. At present, 65% of the money earned will be used to provide college and technical school scholarships to local women. The branch contributes the remaining 35% to National’s Greatest Needs Fund, which is used to advance equity as stated above. In addition to fund-raising, the book sale promotes life-long learning and literacy in the community.

Our branch offers monthly programs (September-May) that are informative, educational and encourage life-long learning. These meetings are held at various locations in the Fox Valley but are also conducted virtually when necessary. Meetings are held on different days/times to provide opportunities for members’ various schedules. These monthly meetings are also when we hold our branch business meetings and offer members a chance to socialize. For a list of our programs, look under the “Programs” section of this website.

Our branch members also develop friendships through a variety of interest groups. From several book groups to art classes to bridge and mahjong, our members connect and enjoy being part of an engaged and active organization.

You can learn more about AAUW National at and more about our branch by examining this website. You are also welcome to visit our AAUW-Appleton Facebook page.

Christine Taylor, President, AAUW-Appleton